We know adopting an electronic round process returns many far-reaching benefits like increasing patient safety and patient satisfaction scores, and improving compliance with Life Safety and Environment of Care Rounds. However, managers often underestimate the importance of data gathered by the solution during a round, and neglect how that data can impact the long-term outlook for a hospital or healthcare network.
A comprehensive rounding solution should encompass Business Intelligence capability, which includes standard reports and dashboards with user-friendly widgets to visualize data, as well as the ability to create ad-hoc reports or custom analytics that are tailor-made to your organization. Standard Reports are a great way to begin to develop benchmarks for performance and compliance measurements. Moving to Dashboard reporting allows for easy data viewing, real-time compliance and performance results, and allows the manager and operational leaders to make better, more informed decisions in a proactive manner. With custom analytics, an organization can develop a set of specific reports designed to meet the needs and workflows of that organization as it relates to safety, quality, and the patient experience.
So, how can you use analytics to drive process improvement in your organization? A robust analytics tool will provide you insight and help you adapt your rounding efforts or initiatives to create action around deficiencies that will yield the greatest impact. This means your team has the power to know where and when to:
- Adopt Policies & Procedures: Review and analyze the data from performed rounds to not only make changes to existing procedures but create new policies. Rounds can also ensure that new policies are functioning as designed and can point out necessary adjustments for best practices.
- Streamline Processes: The data gathered during rounds can help a hospital determine areas where processes can be streamlined to enhance productivity, or isolate areas where improvements can be made to be more efficient. Use an interview style round to communicate with staff and patients to obtain this sort of information.
- Recognize Positive Behavior: Track hospital goals and measure ongoing performance by using analytics to quickly highlight the performers on your team. Positive reinforcement encourages more positive behavior in the future and also acts as a strong motivator when looking to keep employee satisfaction levels high.
- Create a Safer Environment: Ensure the organization is meeting industry standards and compliance standards by reviewing compliance scores in your analytics engine. These types of reports identify deficient areas in need of corrective action and emphasize where your organization should place proper safety protocols.
- Train Staff: Similar to the action taken to create a safer environment, hospitals can look at deficiencies to determine where staff are falling short and what types of training need to be completed. A well-trained staff is better prepared to educate patients, uphold policies and procedures, and ensure patient satisfaction.